Our royal banquet workshop based on the visit of Henry VIII to Gainsborough Old Hall is still as relevant as ever in the new curriculum both at Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2.
With the emphasis on Key Stage 1 learning about significant characters and places within their locality, who better than Henry VIII to give them an entertaining glimpse into Gainsborough's royal past.
At Key Stage 2, there is a wealth of material relating to Henry's royal visit and the significance of the Old Hall throughout 550 years of history through the eyes of its famous royal visitors. Whether you plan to compare Henry's powers with our modern monarch's, examine Crime and Punishment, or how Henry's court spent their leisure time, the hall has centuries of exciting learning to offer.
New Curriculum Links
Key Stage 1 History Objectives
2. Events beyond living memory which are significant nationally.
3. The lives of significant individuals in the past who have contributed to national and international achievements. Some should be used to compare aspects of life in different periods. E.g. Henry VIII
4. Significant historic events, people and places in your own locality. E.g. The Old Hall, the visit of Henry VIII.
Key Stage 2 History Objectives
5. A local history study such as:
A study over time tracing how several aspects of national history are reflected in the locality (this can go beyond 1066)
A study of an aspect of history or a site dating from a period beyond 1066 that is significant in the locality.
6. A study of an aspect or theme in British history that extends pupils chronological knowledge beyond 1066 E.g. The changing power of monarchs using case studies such as Henry VIII, changes in leisure pursuits, and turning points in history.
We recommend you book well in advance to ensure you get your ideal visit date. Call Gainsborough Old Hall for more information on 01427 677348 or download a copy of our Schools’ Information Booklet and Booking Form.
Booking your visit is easy, please contact a member of the Gainsborough Old Hall team. To find out how, click moreMore…
Three loan boxes are available relating to the education sessions we offer. These boxes contain a mixture of real and replica objects for handling and display together with information, photographs and suggested classroom activities supporting the Key Stage Two curriculum. Each loan box is available for a cost of £5 per week. For further details please contact us on 01427 677348